Friday, June 27, 2008

ask the fat guru

I have two friends in the neighborhood whose wives visit the gym. One guy works out there occasionally. The other doesn't, but we play golf, and he's expressed interest in bike riding with me, but we haven't quite gotten there yet. His wife doubts we ever will.

Anyway, last night was a gym night, and I was in there and one woman does a yoga class, and then goes in the gym for a little bit of weight work. She showed up while I was there and she started talking about working out and asked about my diet. The basic question was, have I started eating differently since I've been exercising to lose weight.

Excuse me? The quick answer is "no", but did you look at who you're asking?

I'm still the fat guy. OK, I'm thinner than I used to be, but Mr. My Doctor is still telling me I need to lose about 15 pounds, and it's not going away quickly. I know I ought to alter my diet, but I'm still a sucker for the gravitational pull of the chocolate chip cookie. She told me I'm crazy, and my doctor's crazier, which is a little flattering, but she doesn't have M.D. after her name and some other guy I'm paying money for check-ups does. His opinion still pretty much rules.

She left, and the other woman came in, and I got pretty much the same thing. "I wanted to ask you what you're doing to actually lose weight. Because as I'm getting older, I'm exercising even more but no matter what I do, I can't lose weight." I just told her, welcome to getting older. I pinched an inch of my gut and asked why she's asking me? I have the same issue, and have for about the last 6 or 7 years. You get into your 40s and the metabolism ain't what it used to be. Sliding into your 50s doesn't make it any better. I console myself with the fact that I feel healthier, and I'm not getting any bigger, but I'm trying to shrink some, too.

No, folks, I'm not some anorexia candidate who only thinks he's fat. I have a medical opinion behind the observation. Realistically, no, I'm not really fat, but I do need to lose some more weight to help with high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. Still, I'm hardly thin, either. The most casual observer could tell you I'm no expert on weight loss. So why, all of a sudden, does my opinion on diet and exercise mean squat?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home