Thursday, June 19, 2008

bits and pieces

Got an e-mail from someone at the Wall Street Journal, asking about my blog post on tomato withdrawal. Seems they're considering a fluff piece on the phenomenon and wanted to ask me some questions. I excel at fluff, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. At first I just dismissed it, but then curiosity got the better of me. That and just a little bit of ego. I mean..the Wall Street Journal, for God's sake. Who'da thunk it? Flattered, much! What could they possibly ask though? OK, I miss tomatoes and I want 'em back...now. What more is there? So I e-mailed them back and said, sure...ask away. Some guy called me and I think he was a bit disappointed. I think they hoped for someone more passionate on the tomato withdrawal front. I just want them back on my sandwiches...and truth be told, they are now. I didn't go out to lunch yesterday, but after the call, I asked a few people who did, and the tex-mex place they patronized was fully tomato stocked.

Working from home today, so I caught some of the Today show. Some woman is suing Victoria's Secret because she was injured by a thong. A piece of metal from the thong snapped off and hit her in the eye. Oh, I should be so lucky. Anyway, doncha think the folks at Vicky's could settle that thing...pay her medical bills, give her a free teddy, pat her on the thong clad ass and send her on her way? I do. Apparently she wants more though. Don't know how much more, because every time they asked her sleazebag lawyer for a dollar figure he did the sleazebag lawyer dance and gave a non-answer. This has all the makings of the McDonald's coffee injury lawsuit. Could the world just back off the ridiculous lawsuits..please? As long as there are greedy people and sleazebag lawyers to milk that...I guess I'm asking too much.

Tiger Woods is done for the year. As much as I don't like the guy on a personal, vindictive, can't let go of a grudge level, I do hope he has a full recovery and picks up where he left off next year. The golf world is really going to miss him. This ought to give a few other guys a chance to shine in the spotlight though, so maybe some good will come of it. As much as the Tour will suffer some, the guy with his head in his hands is Paul Azinger, captain of America's Ryder Cup team, as his supposed star is gone. I don't know why. The truth is Tiger's never been all that in Ryder Cup play. Maybe someone a little less 'me' oriented will serve the team better, and Paul and his team will ultimately benefit from this incident.

Boston...yeah, I'm among the millions in the country who are seriously sports jealous. First you have the Patriots, then the Red Sox, now the Celtics. I think we can now dump the 'long suffering' prefix from any of your sports teams when followed by the word 'fan'. Your ticket's been punched. You don't get to play the 'suffering' sports fan card for at least a decade.

Lastly, hey NBC! I get that Tim Russert was your guy and all, and it really is sad that he's taking the great dirt nap way too early (said the 51 year old guy). He will be missed by a lot of people. Can we lay off, let the guy rest in peace and move on, though? I get that everyone thought he was a great guy (and he probably was) and you miss him, but he was a media guy...a reporter for a TV network. You act like he discovered lasagna (commonly known as the eighth wonder of the civilized world). I've seen more than enough of his son toasting him, and interviews and anecdotes, and outtakes and the coverage just seems to go on, and on, and on, and on, and on....and on. The best thing that happening is I hear a snippet of Bruce Springsteen doing an acoustic version of Thunder Road, but even that's the same snippet, over and over and over and over and over.... I don't remember this much eulogizing when the Pope died, fer cryin' out loud. What's next? Tim Russert:the mini-series? Enough already!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

LOL on the tomato thing. Make sure you post a link to the WSJ article when it comes out. I want to see your name there.

And get this: I'm pretty sure that woman who got injured by the Victoria's Secret thong WAS WEARING IT ON HER HEAD.

Just sayin'.

11:48 AM  
Blogger John said...

I don't know if I ever made an actual WSJ article. You have to register to read their site, and I have a feeling once they talked to me, I didn't exactly make a case for being article worthy.

As for the woman, it wouldn't surprise me. She looked like the type who might need some help keeping her head together, and while there are probably better tools available in that quest than a thong, she might be makin' due.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home