Tuesday, June 10, 2008

based on a true story

Those are 5 words I pretty much loathe when it comes to the movies, or TV. It's one of the major differences between me and the wife. She'll start watching some Sunday night drama, or something on Lifetime (which is pretty much the same thing) and she'll say, "This is good, and it's based on a true story."

So?

"Based on a true story" does nothing for me in the world of TV or movie entertainment. For the wife, it's a big plus. Now, if you say "based on a good story", you got me. If I want "based on a true story" (and sometimes I do), I'll watch network news...because most of that is based on a true story. I can, and do trade "based on a true story" tales with friends and coworkers, and many of those are entertaining. It's not what I watch TV or go to movies for though. Being based on a true story doesn't enhance a plot one bit for me, and if something happens to be based on a true story, the looser that basis is, the better.

When I watch a show, be it TV or movie, that's what I want. I want a show. I want adventure and magic. I want hilarity you can't find in true stories. I want to be wowed beyond the ability of my everyday life. Life is all around me, and it holds its share of wonder, but when I go to the movies, I want something else. I want larger than life.

It's with that slant that I'll say I've seen two movies lately...one on the big screen and one on the small, that I thoroughly enjoyed. One I've talked about before...Prince Caspian. That's the kind of big open adventure and magic I'm talking about. That's entertainment you just can't find in a "based on a true story" world. The other is the National Treasure 2, Book of Secrets. There's one very loosely based on a true story. Yes, there's actually a President of the United States and a Resolute Desk. That's about where the true story leaves off. Both of these were very entertaining though, and well beyond what I get from the question "So, Dave, what did you do this weekend?"

While "based on a true story" isn't necessarily bad, because I like hearing about the adventures of friends, and I find the evening news engaging, I don't need it when I want serious entertainment.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

you made me laugh, because that's what I always say to the husband. "It's good, based on a true story." I just watched the Green River Killer story on Lifetime and it was good- based on a true story. :-)

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home