Wednesday, June 04, 2008

just being honest

I tend to bash one Eldrick Woods, mostly based on his attitude on several occasions toward my son in search of an autograph. On this occasion, though, I'm solidly behind the guy. He's in Michigan promoting the upcoming PGA Championship and a reporter asked him if he was rooting for Detroit or Pittsburgh in the NHL finals. Mr. Woods said, "I don't really care. Let's talk about the Dodgers. I don't think anybody really watches hockey anymore."

Detroit's hockey fans are in an uproar. How dare Tigger diss their sport. Well people, in a world where the NHL finals virtually tie ESPNs coverage of the college world series of women's softball in TV ratings, how pissed off at the guy can you be for being...right? Get off the high hockey horse.

I like hockey...some. I'll even watch it on occasion, if I'm in the gym and working on a machine and someone turns it on...and in that case, I'll even get a bit interested. I couldn't name all the teams in any division though, or tell you the starting roster of either team in the finals. Sid the kid is about the only name I know. But let's face facts. When you're talking to a black guy who grew up in southern California, should you be shocked that he has very little interest in hockey?? I've attended and enjoyed hockey games. I watch hockey every now and then, but I don't make a point of it, and hey....numbers don't lie. College girls' softball actually beat out the NHL finals for TV ratings, and it ain't for the sex appeal. Jackie Vasquez's parents tuned in to watch their daughter pitch for ASU. Sid Crosby's folks didn't hold up their end. In neither case are they threatening Law and Order for market share, or America's Funniest Videos, for that matter.

This can't be any worse than Boo Weekly coming out with, "I don't watch golf. I mean, I'd just rather watch fishing or hunting or NASCAR or something. It's got to be moving, man. Golf ain't moving."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home