Monday, June 02, 2008

lumberyard night at the movies

Well, day actually.

The wife is neck deep in a statistics class with mountains of homework she's doing over weekends. She told me to grab the youngster and just get out of the house as much as possible. Normally, not a big problem with bicycling and all, but I'm still trying to get back to 100% healthy, so I've been laying off the bike. Instead, yesterday, we went to the movies.

The question was...4th Indiana Jones movie or 2nd Narnia movie. Iron Man was given consideration, but we're thinking it might get kicked to rental status...gotta see it, but not for 20 bucks. The youngster made a pitch for Kung Fu Panda, but I nixed that. Yet another movie that will probably do almost as well on the small screen. We have mixed neighborhood reviews on Indy, so we went Narnia.

Excellent movie. A little high on the moral hog, but that's what you get in Narnia. I think there are less religious allegory overtones in Prince Caspian than the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but definite lines of right and wrong in the plot. The story is well done and the special effects are amazing. It was well worth seeing on a big screen. Some of the book gets left out, but you have to expect that too, going into movies made from books. They never cover it all.

On another front, I really am itchin' to get back on the bike. I looked at it longingly a few times this weekend. I'm starting to consider...though I don't know how seriously, riding it to work one or two days a week. I need a few things to happen. I need to figure out how/where I can shower and change once I get to work, and when I'd have to leave and how much it'd delay getting home. It's about 22/23 miles each way if I stay off the heavily traveled roads, and involves the monster bridge over the intracoastal waterway. It's a do-able trip, but it is a workout and I'd be pretty sweaty by the time I got to either destination...work or back home. I'm thinking though, if I can just find a shower somewhere, and stage some clothes at work...with some organization, I may be able to pull it off. It wouldn't be an every day thing, but one or two days a week, with gas getting worse every day...I could save a few bucks, get in some exercise, and even go slightly green.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

That's a great idea if you could pull it off. It made me laugh because I've seen so many people on bikes lately! If I had one, I'd definitely throw a baby seat on the back and hit the trails. Maybe as a 30th birthday present....

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home