Thursday, May 29, 2008

erring on the side of boredom

I am getting better. Little by little I can tell. The whole sick thing is slowly getting beaten back. It's a boring process though.

Today makes the 1 year anniversary of when I bought the bike I'm riding now. When I bought it, they said bring it back in a year for a free tune up, so they have it now for that reason.

I had a goal. I wanted to show up, after a year, with the odometer reading over 3,000 miles. I got as far as 2,969 before I got sick and didn't finish off the last 31 miles. I wanted to bring it in and show the guys I bought it from that I'd really been riding the thing. It wasn't just a toy that sat in the garage. Well, I suppose 2,969 miles would have the same effect. It'd just be a little more impressive if the first number was a 3. I know people who ride 5,000 miles in a year, so 3,000 doesn't make me a cycling god or anything. It'd just be a nice bigger round number.

The thing is, when I brought the bike back to the shop, none of the people who were there when I bought it were around. I have a feeling the actual guy I bought it from doesn't work there any more. I'm not sure about the other folks. I hadn't been there in about 7 months. Someone else opened a bike shop very close to the house, and I've gotten to know those guys a little, but I still remember the guys at the shop where I bought the bike. I wanted to tell them how much fun I'm having with it...but alas...

I walked it in and said I need my annual tune up. Some fresh faced kid asked if I bought it there. It was like I'd never been in the store before, which took some of the disappointment out of not reaching the 3,000 mile mark. Nobody in that store would give a damn anyway. Well, to be honest, if the guy I bought it from was there, he wouldn't either. He'd just act like he did.

Anyway, I need to get back to that store and get the bike back, now that they're done tuning it up, and I'm anxious. I'm anxious to get the bike back...anxious to get on it again...and yet, I don't know what the hurry is. I know I'm feeling better, but I don't want to feel worse again. I know, if I get the bike back and ride this weekend, and then get worse again, it'll be a month or more before I hear the end of that bonehead move...and besides, I really want to just be healthy again.

So I guess I'll get the bike back...and stare at it for another week...yawn.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home