Thursday, June 05, 2008

pissed about being dissed

A new perspective came to me on the drive to work this morning....about the afternoon hockey post yesterday.

Several years ago (it seems like a lifetime) the Jaguars had an amazing season. They lost only 2 games the entire 1999 season....both to the hated Tennessee Titans. They had secured the home field throughout the playoffs. They got to the AFC Championship game, and it was played right here in J'ville. I went. I was psyched to see our team go to the Super Bowl. Only one game stood in the way, and it happened to be against those same Tennessee Titans. The so called experts were all picking the Jaguars. There was "no way" this team...the supposedly superior team, would lose 3 games in a season to the Titans.

I won't take you through the painfully gory 2nd half details, but the experts were wrong. The Titans won and went to the Super Bowl. We were left to cry in our beer and Jeff Fisher called what was then Alltel Stadium the Titans' second home field.

I hated him for that. I dislike him to this day for that. The thing that made me hate him for that was not only was he dissing something I loved, he was right. If I wanted to be honest about it, I had to admit the guy was right. The Titans owned us that year, and Jeff Fisher was rubbing our noses in it, and I hated him for it. I guess it's the same way for Detroit hockey fans who are upset at Tiger Woods for dissing their sport. It's bad enough to listen to someone trash something you love. It's worse when, in your heart of hearts, you know they're right.

On that note, congrats to the Red Wings for winning the Stanley Cup. In other news, a tree allegedly fell in the woods and made no sound...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home