Wednesday, July 02, 2008

a tragic wake up call

The wife cried herself to sleep last night. That's an extremely rare occurrence in our house...for any of us. I guess I ought to be thankful for that fact, but it seems a bit irrelevant right now.

She's worked side by side with this guy for the last 4 years or so. In that 4 years, they've become very good friends, even though Jack (the names have been changed to protect those who have enough going on in their lives without the added publicity of Lumberyard fame) always kept his personal life very private. The wife kinda wondered if he was gay, but didn't dwell on it. He just never talked much about what he did outside of work with other people. If he talked about something he did, it was always in a context that made the event the center of the story and not the people involved.

About three weeks ago, Jack called in sick. He did it the next day, and the next. After about a week of that, he went to the emergency room because he didn't seem to be getting any better, and was immediately admitted. The doctors first thought pneumonia, but later ruled that and several other things out. Then one day the wife got a call at her desk from Jack. He had just found out he was HIV positive, and was devastated. The next day or so, he was allowed to go home.

I haven't thought about HIV or AIDS lately. I know it's out there, but I was under the impression that people finds out they are HIV positive and, with the right drug cocktail, manage to live fairly normal, long, relatively healthy lives.

Jack was readmitted to the hospital over the weekend. The wife went to see him yesterday and said he was extremely happy to see her. His parents showed up while she was there. The prognosis for Jack isn't good. The wife knows a lot of doctors and nurses and has a fair amount of educated opinion to work with and the general consensus is, if he can make it through the next couple of days, he might live. There's a fair chance he won't. The idea that someone who seemed perfectly healthy two months ago could very well die soon just blows me away.

If praying is something you do, please keep Jack in your prayers. The guy is literally fighting for his life.

The wife cried herself to sleep last night. For Jack's sake, I hope she doesn't do it again anytime soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

Oh, John. I am so sorry for your wife, and for her friend and his family. I will keep him in my thoughts, and I will continue my longstanding hope that all people recognize what devastating tragedy this disease can bring.

I lost a close friend to AIDS in the early 90s.

Never is there any justification for something like this. But let your wife have her tears -- they will help her be stronger. And rally round this friend of hers, all of you.

Good luck.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

I will remember Jack in my prayers too. Life is so short and it's a shame his is in danger. I pray his remaining time will be full of love and friendship.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home