Monday, June 30, 2008

baby it's hot outside

We seem to be in a cycle, at least for the last week and a half, of very warm days that make for towering clouds of humidity that rain down in the late afternoon and evening...which cools things off.

For bicycle training, that means get up really early and ride before the heat of the day makes its arrival, which works pretty good on Saturdays. Sundays, if I want to ride, are another matter. We do church early on Sundays, so we're home by about 10:00 and have the rest of the day to do whatever we want with. This Sunday, I knew the bike needed air in the tires and it's about time to lube the chain. Since I was doing mine, I did the youngster's chain too. Part of that routine means riding around the block and getting the lubricant on all the gear rings in front and back, and then wiping down the chain to get the excess lubricant off, so it doesn't build up and make a mess. It also means standing around and sweating a bit. By the time I did both bikes, I was dripping, but that's when I wanted to go riding. It didn't make sense to go take a shower, only to immediately get nasty again, do I got a bottle of ice and powerade and started to walk out the door.

and I heard.....where are you going? (the wife)

The youngster was being the dutiful court reporter and telling her how hot it was and that I was already sweating just standing in the driveway and...I understand the concern, and I appreciate it, but.....

"I'm going for a ride."
"It's really hot out there and you're already sweating. How far?"
"20 miles?" More of a pleading question than a statement. I didn't want to go much farther than that anyway, with the porta-potty incident from a few weeks ago still on my mind, and rain in the early afternoon forecast.
"Well, please don't go any farther than that, and be careful."

Once I got on the bike and started moving through the self generated breeze, it didn't feel nearly as hot. Oh, it was pretty warm. I'll grant you that. It was bearable though. I went out at about 11:15 and got home a little over an hour later. The clouds were already building and the breeze was picking up. I probably lost a pound or two of water weight, but got home and gulped it right back down.

Even in the heat though, I enjoyed getting out there...and I wasn't the only one. Once I got out on the road I had plenty of company in the bike lane, and I'm thinking we all made it home alive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home