Monday, September 01, 2008

political desperation

I see it on both sides and just have to shake my head.

First we have McCain and Palin, where I do see the move to pick a woman running mate as a bit desperate, and a lot like pandering. It looks like a move to grab some of the Hillary voters and it very well may be. I've now heard Sarah Palin speak, and I feel better about her than I did before, but I'm far from sold. She's eloquent, and she speaks to all the things I believe in. I like her. She's feisty. I just don't know if she's Vice Presidential material. I honestly had to laugh watching C-Span, when they took callers after her speech. Some woman from Boston, who identified herself as an Obama supporter, actually said (and this is almost a word for word quote), "She says she's for family values, but she's pro-life. She can't be for family values. She's anti-family."

Now there's a heap of intelligence just shining through. I looked at the wife and said, "You wonder where they come from? There's your answer."

From the Democratic side, I see desperation in Obama's hope to tie John McCain to George Bush. There are a lot of things Bush has done I agree with. Many things he's done I don't. I think that would be the same for most conservatives. Still, I thought John McCain would have made a better president eight years ago when he ran against George Bush. I think so now. One thing I know is John McCain is a far cry from George Bush, and any attempt to paint them as the same guy is an outright lie...and I have an issue with liars. I see Obama sitting there saying "It's 4 more years of the same thing." Not only is that the lazy brainless play. It's flat out wrong, and Obama knows it.

I think Obama is a fairly intelligent and eloquent man, and I've really wanted to like the guy, but when it comes right down to it, every time he opens his mouth on an issue, I find myself disagreeing with him. He says he speaks to the people ignored by the present administration. Well, I feel ignored by the present administration, and I like that. I hope the next one ignores me just as much.

Therefore I find myself in my normal rut again. I'll keep listening to both sides, but I feel stuck. On one side I have someone whose policies are the opposite of what I think they ought to be. On the other I have someone I can tolerate, but he does things that leave a bad taste in my mouth as well. As much as I think there were better choices for McCain out there, I'm still willing to give Sarah Palin a shot because when it comes right down to it, the only other real choice isn't something I can support. Politicians. Can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home