Tuesday, November 18, 2008

gotta give the new President some credit

Barak Obama's actually talking to John McCain, and talking about working with him. I don't know to what extent that work will actually happen, but that's more than I've seen from any president-elect so far. I'm equally impressed with his request that Joe Lieberman keep his committee chairmanship in the Senate, despite his support for McCain. I'm seeing a deliberate attempt at bridge building, above and beyond any previous incoming administration, and I hope it yields results. I'm actually interested in seeing where it all goes.

On the other side of the coin, I have a hard time stomaching Hillary being Secretary of anything in the new cabinet, let alone State. That includes being anyone's personal secretary. I wouldn't want to see her unemployed or anything, but I do think anything she does for compensation should include the phrases, "Would you like fries with that?" and "Drive up to the second window, please." Before anyone thinks that's a sexist thing, it goes for her husband, as well. With both of them, I never felt like they gave a damn about what might be best for the country. Their motivation was and is what's best for the Clintons. In the last 20 years she's championed two major efforts....government subsidized health care in the 90's and a run at the Democratic Presidential nomination recently. I'm missing the 'rousing success' part of either of those initiatives (and not-so-secretly pretty pleased about her inability to get things done). I know the good people of New York differ with me on that opinion, but that just gives me another reason not to live there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home