Friday, November 14, 2008

sometimes you really gotta wonder about all the stuff you're supposed to eat or not eat

Sometimes I think I ought to just stop listening to the so-called experts, and just stuff my face with lard.

I have cholesterol/blood pressure issues. Some of those are hereditary, and I guess I have to go with that, since both of my parents, and my brothers have the same issues. My sister may as well, but I've never discussed it with her. Since the wife and I pretty much eat the same stuff, and she doesn't have the same problem, I guess heredity is at least part of the problem.

Another part has been a lack of exercise, but I've been putting some serious effort into correcting that piece of the problem.

Lastly, we have diet. Mr. My Doctor has, for years been telling me to eat fresh fruits and veggies, less meat, very little bread and potatoes and take vitamin E every day. It was supposed to help clean out the blood vessels, keeping the cholesterol numbers down. Well, I read something in the paper the other day that said a new study (doncha just love when you get a new study?) suggests vitamin E doesn't do squat to help keep the cholesterol numbers down, and may even hurt. So when I went to see Mr. My Doctor, I asked him about that, and he said, "Yeeeeaaaah, maybe you should stop the vitamin E. If I was going to suggest anything that will help you fight high cholesterol as a supplement, I'd probably go with fish oil."

I've been buying/swallowing vitamin E for about the last 10 years, and noe I find out it probbaly didn't do a damn thing, except possibly hurt the cause. Then, who's to say in two years, and even newer study won't tell me fish oil clogs arteries, and sweet creamy butter is the best thing for you?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home