Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Look out America

Well, we've gone and done it now. We've handed the keys over to the inexperienced youngster and ushered him into driver's seat. Fear is gripping our neighborhood as we see the immanent collapse of insurance companies, and other disasterous property damage on the horizon. We've handed the wheel to ignorance and learning on the job.

We have entered a new stage of growing up...the Learner's Permit. I don't know if the rules are the same everywhere, but they probably are. They've changed quite a bit since I got my Learner's Permit. I walked into the DMV in Harrisburg, PA and asked for it. They handed me the piece of paper that was a Learner's Permit, and I was off and driving. Now, the youngster had to take a 4 hour drug and alcohol course, detailing the effects of both on driving, and life in general. Then he had to pass a test on that course. He finished that a few weeks ago. After that, he had to pass a test on road rules, and road signs, which he did online Saturday. Monday was a teacher planning day for the youngster's school, so we took the proof he passed his stuff, along with his social security card and birth certificate, to the DMV and got his picture ID Learner's Permit with holographic crap all over it...far more sophisticated than the paper thing I got in 1972.

I took him out roads in a new neighborhood which has next to no traffic to get his feet wet, and it went fairly well. All it really did was whet his appetite though. I can see it now. Every time we get in the car to go anywhere, it'll be..."Can I drive?"

So let this be fair warning to you, America. The youngster is on the loose.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

at first I thought you were referencing Obama! Which was great too!

Anyway, good luck! I am sure he'll be just fine. Just keep the girlfriend out of the car for the first couple weeks...if I remember correctly, that's never a good idea. *wink wink*

9:08 AM  
Blogger John said...

How do you know it's not about Obama? How do you know the youngster really got his learner's permit? How do you know there's really a youngster? Maybe it's all an elaborate metaphor about an inexperienced President learning to do his job in a real world where mistakes can be tragic.

OK, it's not. I'm not quite that good, but it was an interesting theory there for a minute.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

that's true- which would've been a great metaphor!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home