Monday, April 27, 2009

the pied piper

I'm turning into the bicycle pied piper, and I never intended to. This whole bike deal started as an 'all about me' get my ass in shape thing, but it's starting to spread (much like my ass was doing before I took action). That's not really such a bad thing. In fact, it could turn into a matter of pride if it keeps growing the way it's started. I'll change the names to protect the somewhat innocent, but it's going like this.

I have a friend I'll call Bob. Bob started riding with me a over a year ago, but Bob was in the Navy and got sent overseas. He has since retired from the military this spring. He wanted to ride in the MS Ride with me last year, but he was outside the country at the time. Now that's no longer an issue, and Bob and I ride almost every weekend. He's planning on doing the MS Ride with me and the youngster in October. Bob has two sons, Ishmail and Seymour. The youngster and Ishmail are good friends. In fact, last year when the youngster and I did the MS ride, Bob's wife brought Ishmail and Seymour to the finish line in St. Augustine to watch us come in. Since then, Ishmail has been asking the youngster bicycing, occasionally riding his road bike, talking to Bob about getting a bike of his own and training to do this year's MS ride. The thing is, Ishmail has a habit of wanting to do things that call for expensive props (guitar and an art studio come to mind) and once Bob sinks cash into the mix, Ishmail's interest dies. Bob wasn't about to buy an expensive road bike and have Ishmail let it sit in the garage. Bob's other son, Seymour, has a friend, Fred. Fred's dad, Rocko has a road bike. It happens to be the same brand as mine. Once day, the youngster was over at Fred's (only because one of Fred's neighbors is a girl the youngster has some interest in), and discussed bikes with Rocko. Rocko talked to Bob about riding with us, and in fact, this past Saturday, he did. Rocko was worried about keeping up with us, but the fear was unfounded. Rocko's in decent shape and hung in there just fine, but admitted we worked him pretty hard.

Bob started shopping for bikes for Ishmail and Seymour, because Seymour has also expressed interest. He spent the last few months trying to get decent bikes for the boys but not break the bank. Finally, he found what he wanted. Ishmail got a bike this past weekend. It's new, but a model from last year or the year before. Seymour will be getting one this week as well. It's a used one, but it's a good bike to start on. Ishmail and the youngster started riding immediately once Ishmail got his bike home. They recruited another kid, Sherman, whose mom has a road bike she never rides. It's a litle bit big for him, but he can ride it.

Sunday morning after church, Bob and I took the youngster, Ishmail and Sherman on a bike ride, basically teaching Ishmail and Sherman how to ride in a line, how and when to shift, how to ride and not burn yourself out in the first five minutes by pedalling as hard as you can, that sort of thing. I thought it would be like hearding cats, but I was wrong. They were surprisingly receptive, and stayed together for the most part. We took the boys 22 miles, which was more than enough to start. Ishmail got a fair idea of what he's getting in to, and so far, he's still pumped.

So, in the end, I have me, Bob and Rocko...three dads riding together. Then I have the youngster, Bob's kids, Ishmail and Seymour, another boy, Sherman, and possibly Rocko's son, Fred, if he joins the party. From there, who knows. It'd be amazing if I can get that whole group trained up (and willing to raise the necessary funds for the cause) to where we could all (three dads and five teenage boys) do the MS Ride in October. Maybe that's asking a bit much, but at least we're all out and doing things instead of sinking into a couch somewhere.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home