Thursday, April 01, 2010

April has us bike shopping

I know, we just bought nice bikes.

And if you're saying that, you'd be right - sort of.

When I bought the youngster's bike, I purposedly didn't go too nice/expensive. He was in 8th grade and I knew he'd grow. We needed a bike reliable enough to do 100 mile rides...a decent road bike. It didn't have to be super light with top of the line components or anything, though.

Well, it's two and a half years later now, and he's grown about a foot. He was complaining that his bike shoes, that he got for Christmas 2008, were too small. We went to the bike shop to get a larger size. The guys at the bike shop set him up, but they wanted to watch him on the bike, so they knew if they had to adjust the cleats that attach the shoes to the bike...so he rode it around the parking lot while they watched....and started shaking their heads.

The bike is way too small for him. They've already used tubes on the handlebars to extend them out, and seat posts that are offset to put the actual seat back farther. We're at the point where there's nothing more to do, and they were showing me that his knees were getting in the way of his elbows. He just needs a bigger bike.

I could just get him a larger version of what he has now, but I have a better idea - better for me anyway. He's grown enough that he can ride my bike - and he wants my bike. I don't blame him. It's a nice light carbon fiber frame bike. In the meantime, I've learned a little about bikes in the last 3 years, and have a better idea of what I want to be riding. As I see it, this is a perfect time for John o' the Lumberyard to get a new bike, and pass his down to the youngster. He's excited about the idea. I'm excited about the idea. The wife is even on board, if not quite as excited as either the youngster or me.

So....John's bike shoppin'. I have a few bikes in mind, but I'll use this month to do research and maybe in May we'll get something new. We'll see.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home