Wednesday, April 07, 2010

bike search complete


The bike search is officially over. The new weapon of choice will be the Bianchi Infinito. It's an Italian bike, which I didn't think made much of a difference until I made up my mind, based on the really cool picture, a video from the internet and pouring over a bunch of reviews in magazines and on the internet.

I went out in search of said bike and to my dismay...there isn't one to be found, at least around me. I was hoping to test ride one, but I can't find one, much less one in my size.

So I'm throwing caution to the wind and going for it. I ordered one. I was told it's on a boat in China. It'll take time to traverse the Pacific Ocean. Then time to cross the country. Then at least a week to get across the city of J'ville. I'm thinking mid-May. If I had picked a bike made in the U.S., none of that would be an issue. I'd have had several to test in different configurations and be on the thing already.

Mid-May is not as much of a big deal for me as it is the youngster. I still have my current bike, which fits me just fine. The youngster is the one struggling, because his bike definitely doesn't fit him. My bike, after talking to the bike shop guys, is one size too big for him, but they can make it fit, until he grows a little more and then it becomes the perfect size for him. He, more than I, can't wait for my new bike to show up, so we can put him on my bike and craigslist the one he's got now.

It'll happen when it happens though. The boat's not moving any faster just because my bike's on it

4/23 - OK, it gets worse. Instead of slowly getting closer, the bike is actually getting farther away. It's not on a boat. Apparently it's a very popular bike. They oversold their stock. I'm on a waiting list, but as the sales guy at my bike shop said, "I talked to the Bianchi rep. and he doesn't think it'll be a problem." OK, so you have my money for a bike on which you can't guarantee delivery, let alone a delivery date. For whom is that not already a problem?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home