Monday, February 27, 2006

Rejected

And so it came to pass that the little school from Main Line Philly went to Connecticut, and got rejected...literally. I hate sounding like eeyore, but I could see it coming. Ever since Curtis Sumpter went down before the beginning of the season, and the Wildcats were still ranked in the top 5, I had to wonder...what are you people thinking? We have some great guards, true, but we have no front court. OK, that's embellishing it some, but we don't have a great front court. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. In Villanova's case, playing four guards is unorthodox, but when that's what you got, that's what you play. As long as those guys can get open and are hot from the outside, you can win that way. Yesterday showed what happens when they can't....blocked shots and throwing up desperation threes at the end only made what had been a close game look scary bad.

I like our chances going into the end of the season, the Big East tournament and the NCAA's, where guard play means a lot, but still, we have one glaring weakness..and it was blinding against UConn. They played a hell of a game and hung one on the Wildcats. I don't think the way to beat Villanova is a big secret. It's just that not many teams have the game to exploit that weakness. UConn does. Let's face it. I was surprised when we won the first game, and had no expectation of winning in Storrs, but we're doing the best we can with what we got.

On to better topics, I'm not much on the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics, but those guys "floating" over the fan that was pushing air up at 120-something miles an hour were pretty cool. I so want to do that! I have to wonder...do you think Bode Miller will work his way into the lexicon? I'm wondering if some day...not too long from now, if being hyped as something with all the potential in the world to do great things and falling flat on your face, or just being an abject failure, will be known as "doing a Bode". I know the guy tried. I saw an interview with him where he said he didn't go out drinking the night before any of his races, so I know the effort was there. I mean, what more could you ask for? As you may have guessed, being the Bodeist...isn't high on my To Do list.

We spent a lot of the weekend with the youngster. In his week long school absence, he missed three tests, which need to be made up like, today or tomorrow. I'm far more knowledgeable on the war of 1812 than I have been in a long time. Math..well...is still just math. It's always been a strong suit for me which makes it suprisingly hard to teach. You don't realilze how much of it you do in your head until someone's trying to follow what you're doing. I'm crossing my fingers for the little guy today.

I also did the last of my three golf lessons. We'll see where that gets me. The guy did give me some things to work on, so I have something specific in mind at the range. Maybe this year we break 90. Then again, maybe this year we do a Bode, and try again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home