Wednesday, February 22, 2006

separated at birth?

Last night I gave up on the Olympics, for the most part. The big event of the evening appeared to be figure skating, and I can only sit through so much of that. One time though, I walked through past the TV, and the wife, still sick and huddled under her comforter, and on the screen was a mass of far too many sequins in pants, topped off with dark hair and I thought...Johnny Weir is back. The kid found his aura! Turns out I was wrong. It was Ivana Slut...something. I think she was from Russia. At first glance I coulda sworn it was Johnny Weir.

The feud between Shani Davis and Chad Hendrick is just about comical. I can see both of their points, but can't you guys just shake hands and apologize to each other, or is there too much ego in the way for all that? I can see where Chad's peeved because Shani didn't skate in the team event, but he said they didn't even discuss it. Couldn't Chad have made the first move and asked? Then there's the hand shake thing. Shani's peeved because Chad didn't shake his hand when he won gold. He did when he won silver and the reaction was something very close to (only because I don't remember the exact quote), "Oh, he shakes my hand when I lose." Dude, you won a silver medal! Losing is the guy who goes home empty handed. No, it isn't gold, but I'd be proud as hell of an olympic silver medal. Not only that, but you beat the guy shaking your hand, who got the bronze. Outside of the gold medal, maybe Tanith Belbin sneakin' into your room at night in the village, or winning that powerball thing, what more could you want? Maybe I just set the bar too low. I don't know the whole story, but these two look like a couple of three year olds with attitude....that can skate really fast.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

she is boyish, yes. but then again johnny weir is a bit girlish, don't you think? I'm sad you can't enjoy figure skating; must be a girl thing. perhaps you agree with my ex on the subject?

all three american girls skated beautifully last night, in case you were wondering. And Ivana has such a natural look on the ice, as if she is a gymnast on the floor exercises, but I felt her marks were a bit excessive.

9:08 AM  
Blogger John said...

Figure skating..no I don't agree that nobody cared before Tanya Harding. I don't even like the stuff and I remember Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming. I know lots of people love figure skating. My wife, my mom and my sister are among them, so yeah, I think it's a girl thing.

Personally, I didn't care much for figure skating before, during or after the Tanya thing. I'm not sure why. I can watch it, but I don't look forward to it. I love the skiing and snowboarding stuff, and the events on the ice course...the skeleton, luge and bobsled events. I like the hockey and speed skating stuff as well. The only thing I absolutely can't stand is the ice dancing thing. It makes me want to take Dick Button's mike and shove it down his throat. He starts gushing about you can really feel the relationship between the skaters and oozing sensuality and I just want to shake him out of whatever alternate reality he's in and tell him to stop it, before ballroom dancing becomes a summer olympics event.

3:36 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

I totally agree, John of the Right. That whole "ice dancing" thing makes me sick. And I totally appreciate the athleticism of what's going on (I do, I do) but it's still just...well...faggy. There. I've said it. At least with the figure skating they're JUMPING and stuff. And while I'm on the subject, I can't really watch the male figure skaters either. The women are cool. The men are--well, don't make me say it again (not that there's ANYTHING wrong with it).

9:27 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

My brother likes the ice dancing/skating stuff. That's the only part of the Olympics he's watching...(and I asked if he was going to see Brokeback Mountain and got a book thrown at me in return, so I'm not questioning his manhood, honest)...

as for it being a girl thing...maybe, but I don't watch it...even before the Tonya Harding incident.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home