Tuesday, April 11, 2006

the draft? already?

It seems like football season just ended and....we're talking draft already. I was listening to the sports talk guys this morning and they're already prognosticating. The draft is 18 days away? After two, I'll be resorting to the CD player again, because I don't know that I can listen to 18 days of guessing...and that's all it is. Everyone gets out there and guesses and 9 times out of 10, they're wrong. Nobody saw Matt Jones coming last year. So far the conventional wisdom (Mel Kiper) is saying the Jaguars are looking tight end. WHY?? We have good tight ends that we don't use now. With our not-very-mobile quarterback and inconsistent offensive line, the tight end has been generally used as a blocker. We have guys who can run downfield and catch the ball. They just haven't been given a lot of opportunity. This year, supposedly we're getting better in the offensive line, and, if I was going to look someplace in the draft, that might be where I concentrate before I start looking tight end. Let the tight ends we have show that they can be something other than another tackle. Another option is to let Matt Jones play tight end, but I'd rather see him stay outside (and the Jaguars front office guys check here daily for the lumberyard opinion, so I feel I have some weight here.) Another factor is Leftwich, who has to get better this year, or next year we'll be looking for a new quarterback. Well, at least the masses will be clamoring for one. This is his best shot and he'd better use it. In any case, I think the tight ends we have now are capable, if they get a chance to play the position. That's about all I have to say on the draft, for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home