Tuesday, April 04, 2006

and the Florida Gators are the National Champions

It was a little strange this morning, listening to sports talk on the way in. People who are passionate rivals in the college sports department all calling in to congratulate the Gators for winning the college basketball national championship. Seminole fans, Hurricane fans, Volunteer fans all calling in to say "Go Gators!"

No, I didn't call, but I felt what they feel. No, it's not my team, but I watched those kids play an incredible tournament. I watched Joakim Noah, who sucked so bad last year he rode the pine the entire game when Florida lost in the tournament, become transformed over this year, culminating in being named the MVP of the Final Four. I watched unselfish, great basketball, under a coach that exudes class. As much as I thought Steve Spurrier was an mouthy, classless, asshole when he was Florida's football coach (and still think he is at South Carolina) who made it incredibly hard for me to enjoy his teams' victories, Billy Donovan is the opposite. You never hear him tearing down his opponents. You never hear disrespect come out of his mouth about any coach, player, referee, or the game itself. His love of basketball comes shining through, and he's just a class act. You can't, or I can't, anyway, be anything but happy for him and his team.

You guys rocked last night Florida, and I'm happy for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home