Monday, April 10, 2006

the weekend in review

Yes, I did watch Sunday afternoon at the Masters. What can I say? I like watching golf, and that course is amazing, regardless of my feelings about those who run the event. The afternoon with all the big names still in contention, even though nobody made a serious run at Mickelson (to the point where he was comfortable making double bogey on the last hole and still winning) was fun to watch. He and Couples seemed to be having a great time playing Augusta on a Sunday afternoon. It didn't look tense at all.

It did make me contemplate though, (as I did the Napoleon Dynamite 'yesssssss' under my breath as Tiger missed another putt,) why I was pulling for Phil and not Tiger. My big beef with Mr. Woods is the way he's marketed vs. the way he treats people, kids in particular, at golf tournaments. Like I said before, the only player to absolutely ignore all of them, not just mine, begging for autographs, was Tiger Woods. It came to me though, as I sat there watching, that the youngster doesn't have Phil's autograph either. Of the players mentioned as the "big 5, " they are the two we never got on a pin flag. The difference is that we have yet to meet up with Phil Mickelson. Me being the optimist and constant giver of the benefit of the doubt, would like to think if we stumble upon him one day during Players Championship practice rounds (which is really the only shot we have), the youngster wouldn't get dissed the way he and hundreds of other kids were with Tiger. Still, I can't say I know that. It's also true that if one of the others, Goosen, or Vijay, were in contention, I'd probably be pulling for them. It's just funny (to me anyway) how my view of golfers, and who I like to root for, has been swayed by something that really has little to do with the game, and everything to do with how they treat my son.

Beyond that, the weekend was errands and company. Some of the wife's old friends from Georgia came down Saturday, and we went out to eat Saturday night, where I ate entirely too much food. Every now and then I do something like that, whether it's too much food, or a few too many beers, or stabbing myself in the eye with a fork, where I wake up the next morning, thinking, I don't need to do that again for a very long time. Sunday was one of those mornings. Oh, just kidding about the fork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home