Tuesday, August 01, 2006

comedies, and who put that list together anyway?

A few weeks ago, channel surfing, we came across Bravo, airing a self-promoting show on part of what it called the 100 funnies movies...like, ever. While I won't debate the list itself, it's clear whoever compiled it hasn't seen a movie made before about 1960. The Marx Brothers, for one (or is it four), are conspicuously and completely absent.

What it did was remind me of a few very funny movies, and make me wonder about a few I haven't seen. Because of that list, we went out and bought Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and watched it a few times. I always liked Ferris, but the youngster hadn't seen him, and I could justify the purchase because we will watch it more than once. One I hadn't seen was the last movie on the list, Anchorman. I had only seen one other Will Farrell movie. A few years ago I took the youngster and some of his buddies to see one for his birthday, Kicking and Screaming. By coincidence, that was also the name of the flick. Honestly, I've taken the youngster to other movies I didn't like all that much. The Pokemon movie comes immediately to mind. That one, I knew going in I was suffering through. I was doing it for my kid. Kicking and Screaming, though, was OK, but it wasn't something I'd go see again, or even rent to see again. So here was Anchorman, which the youngster had seen before and gave a glowing review, so I figured why not? It is after all, supposedly the 100th funniest movie ever. We were on our way to Blockbuster when we ran into a neighbor who owned it, so he let us borrow it. I have come to the conclusion that I'm not that much of a Will Farrell fan. I came away thinking, I gotta be missing....something, because I'm just not getting it. Again, the movie was...OK, but certainly not one of the 100 funniest ever made. It's not something I'd ever rent to see again. It had its moments, but that's about all they were...moments. I was seriously underwhelmed. The best character was not Will Farrell's Ron Burgundy, but Steve Carell's Brick, and that's not saying a helluva lot. I guess I just expected more from the 100th funniest movie ever made. At least the youngster liked it. Maybe it's just that I'm not 13 anymore.

On the flip side, I have seen the previews for Talladega Nights. That looks like a hilarious movie, so the jury's still out...sorta.

1 Comments:

Blogger S.S. said...

I watched Anchorman on pay TV few days ago. Not as funny as what I heard. I ended up walking away mid way of the movie. Or even wayyyy before mid way. Yes probably because I'm not 13 anymore.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home