Monday, July 24, 2006

that's racin'...or maybe not

I think if you've read here for any amount of time, you've gathered that I'm not a NASCAR fan. I don't begrudge those who are. If that's your thing, fine. I also understand the folks on Fox Sports Radio pretty much have to promote it, whether they really give a damn or not, because Fox televises NASCAR (and it's pretty hilarious listening to James Washington, ex-Cowboy cornerback, trying to convince me he's a big NASCAR fan.)

So I'm driving around running errands this weekend in the wife's car, because I'm still waiting on mine, listening to FSR and these guys are giving me a little bit of sports between telling me and the rest of America how great NASCAR is, but then they start in on the Tour de France and how ridiculous it is, and how nobody cares.

"It's a bike race. 'Nuff said."

I'm sitting there thinking, yeah, it's a bike race. Truth be told, I care about as much as I cared about the World Cup. Maybe less. It's one of those European things we don't really get. Still, these guys...after pushing NASCAR in my face, start ripping a bike race and I'm thinking...at least they're doing more than turning left in a high speed billboard. At least this requires some amount of physical activity, and a hell of a lot more than playing footsie with a gas, brake and clutch pedal and turning a wheel...ever so slightly. These guys spend hours trying (unsuccessfully) to convince me these NASCAR drivers are athletes. Some may be. Some probably work out between races. It has next to nothing to do with their job, however. Secretaries do in their off time too. Both occupations require about the same amount of coordination and athletic ability, though I suppose you look better for the sponsor if you look less like the blimp and more like the buff athlete when promoting Goodyear in commercials. Let's face it, there's more athleticism going on in the pit crew than behind the wheel. Then they slam bike racers who actually are athletes...whose race actually does involve stamina, and endurance, and muscles aching like they've never ached before, and pushing through that, and a level of human achievement that, compared to winning a NASCAR race makes NASCAR look like a walk in the park. What's up with that?

Like I said, neither is exactly my cup of tea. Everyone's different and thank God we don't all like the same things, or I'd never get a tee time. When you're pumping up one kind of racing though, I don't see where you have any business running down the other. It's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.....or checkered?...or in this case, yellow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home