Friday, August 18, 2006

my dad, my...friend?

My dad is a sucker for forwarding e-mails. I know, there are plenty of people like him, who forward on every joke, or inspirational message, or whatever that comes along. Oh to be retired, and have nothing more pressing to do. I think I could come up with better options, though.

So today I get this thing with a subject line that asks if I'm your friend. Immediately I'm reaching for the delete button, because...that's a spam subject line if ever there was one, but wait...it's from dad. So, being the glutton for punishment that I am, I open it.

It's a "friendship ball", and I'm supposed to forward it on to 10 of my friends, further clogging the e-mail system, and send it back to him to say I'm his friend.

This is my dad, fer cryin' out loud. No, I didn't forward it to 10 of my friends. I'd rather they stay my friends and that wouldn't help matters. Nor, however, did I respond to him. So I'm thinking...by my not responding, is he really taking it personally? Does he think I've disowned him or something? I'm thinking not, but if that's the case, why the inane e-mail in the first place, and how much would he ever really read into it, whether I respond or not?

Things to think about when your brain is fried on a Friday afternoon, and you really need a weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

My Father-in-Law is the same way. I delete them all generally. I read them once in a while amd once in a while one is worth reading.

I think they're still excited about email. They open their mail with great anticipation and feel the need to spread the love.

I love my Father-in-Law but a guy has to draw the line... or delete line rather ;)

-Greg

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home