Tuesday, October 03, 2006

is there really any way to understand?

The youngster has come to the age where the answer to many questions is, "You just don't understand." He's thirteen and pushing for his independence and not really wanting the reality of it, then really wanting it and the hormones are surging and, no I don't understand. Neither does he. Neither does anyone else, despite 'expert' claims to the contrary. So goes the confusing world of growing up and becoming a teenager on your way to being an adult.

There's a joke. I can't quite remember how it goes but I have the gist. A genie offers a man one wish. The man asks for a bridge, from San Francisco to Hawaii, so he can road trip there whenever he pleases. The genie balks, telling how impossible that would be. The metals don't exist for that kind of stress and flexibility requirement, and it would totally screw up shipping lanes and maintaining that bridge would be a nightmare and, isn't there something else? The man says, "OK...I want to completely understand women. I want to know what it takes to make my wife happy, all the time. I want to know why she gets upset, but says everything's fine when it isn't, and why she crys when she's happy. I want to know why she can endure amazing hardships, but go off the deep end when she breaks a nail. I want to know everything that goes on in that head of hers." The genie says, "Can we look at that bridge thing again?"

It's with those two concepts that I look at some milk man in Lancaster...my high school backyard, pretty much...executing 5 Amish girls at school. How do you comprehend that? The police and media are looking for a motive, trying to understand why the guy did what he did. The best they can come up with is some revenge thing that happened 20 years ago, that the guy never let go of. How does that happen? How does that translate into...go to an Amish school and execute 5 completely innocent kids? How does that make it all better? any better? anything other than a whole lot worse? I don't think I can come close to grasping that, nor find the words for the tragedy of it all.

I feel like I'm in a joke, saying, "Let's take another crack at that puberty mindset thing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home