Monday, October 30, 2006

Who ARE those guys

I can't say I'm unhappy about the Jaguars win over the Eagles, but it is confounding. How does the team that looks so bad against the Texans look that dominating against the Eagles? Does a "get your shit together" wakeup talk mean that much? Even without Leftwich (and all reports to the contrary, he is the better quarterback compared to Garrard) they dominated the Eagles. Maybe that's part of it. They didn't lean on Garrard like they do Leftwich and everyone took their jobs a little more seriously. Whatever it is, it doesn't exactly instill a ton of confidence, even going into a home game against Jeff Fischer and the Tennessee Titans.

All that said, I'm glad we don't play the Eagles often. This was only the third meeting, and while the Jaguars have won all of them, I don't relish those. The Eagles were my team...more or less...growing up in Pennsylvania more than anywhere else, and going to college in Philly. I pulled for them more than any other team, but I wasn't heavily indoctrinated. You can tell, because I pretty much disowned them when they hired Buddy Ryan as their head coach in the 80's. I figured they'd sold their soul to the devil, and I wanted no part of that. I did live in Harrisburg for four years of high school and in Philly for four years of college, but other than that my childhood and adult life was geographically scattered by the military in one shape or another, until about 20 years ago when we settled here...so here really is home. That isn't the case for the rest of my family though...nor college buddies. They stayed there. Most who aren't Steeler fans are big time Eagles fans...including my parents, brother (season ticket holder) and sister and her husband, and my college roommate who now lives in J'ville (but was a season ticket holder not too long ago). The only reason I don't relish Eagles games is I don't like the aftermath. My brother and I talk football, a lot, and after those games...it's not easy. My dad asked me last night, "What happened to the Eagles today?" It's hard pulling out the hammer on your dad, but I did. "Whaddya mean what happened to the Eagles? They played the Jaguars. Doesn't that explain it?" Of course, that was easy to say after the game, but he did open that door. I got a two word e-mail from my brother, which said exactly what you'd expect from a typical Eagles fan..."Eagles SUCK!" I sent a reply, but it was more consoling than anything...and it shouldn't be. I should be talkin' trash, but...he's my brother. I just can't bring myself to do that. I like it better when we can talk and not rub it in each others faces...no matter which way it goes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home