Monday, October 23, 2006

the Houston game

I don't know what to think. I just know what I saw, and it was ugly. I can't even call it the Jaguar game, because the Jaguars didn't bother to show up.

Is it the injuries coming to take their toll? Is it the fact that we don't have Mike P. and Reggie Hayward anymore this year, and Marcus Stroud was out for the game? That's three huge pieces of the defense. Add to that the fact that we lost Greg Jones early for the season, Matt Jones didn't play and Byron probably shouldn't have. The offense clearly needed something that wasn't there. Some of the names on the backs of jerseys playing yesterday were undrafted free agents who got hired to play special teams. Welcome to the NFL, guys.

Was it arrogance? Friday we have Fred Taylor mouthing off about his contract and how he's not going to keep doing what he's doing for "free". Do game changing fumbles come "free" too? Listen Fred. I'd love to get paid your $2.5 million base before incentives version of "free", and that's to do my job without fucking up quite that huge.

Was it that Houston Texan curse? There is no bottom feeding team that plays the Jaguars harder. Over the life of that franchise, they have yet to have a winning record, but they do against the Jaguars...5 and 4.

I'm not sure what to expect next. I don't know what kind of team we have now. Del Rio wants to write it off as a very bad day at the office, and I'd like to believe him. I can't help thinking though...we've lost a lot of key people, either temporarily or for the rest of the season, and it's showing. People are still using that "playoff" word and as much as I was starting to believe a few weeks ago....you can't use that word and play like we did yesterday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home