Thursday, October 26, 2006

another day with the "shrink"

Well, I guess technically, he's not a "shrink" but to be honest, I don't even know that for sure. The wife and I spent a session with the counselor last night...sans youngster, to discuss ways to help him cope with ADD.

I will admit, the guy has ideas that sound like they could help us, so that's already a plus as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't expecting a whole lot and I'm alreadt better off than I was, I think. I started using one of his ideas this morning. The youngster has an "agenda" book where he's supposed to write all his homework assignments/projects/tests. This is one of the larger breakdowns. He gets home and there's nothing in the "agenda" book...or there is, and he does what's there, but it's not all there so he doesn't do everything he's supposed to do. Starting today, there will be something witten in the book for every class. Even if he has no homework, he will write "no homework". That will at least make him put something in the book and increase the chance that if there really was something to put there...it will get there. The counselor suggested a punishment/reward system for doing this correctly or not. That part is coming. The wife and I have to put some structure to that to make it work, and that will happen over the next few days. I just wanted to start the concept as soon as possible. I didn't want to throw together the punishment/reward system that quickly. That part will take more thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home