Monday, February 12, 2007

the Pro Bowl

The Pro Bowl was played Saturday night. I know this because I read about it in the sports pages of our local paper Sunday. I didn't watch it. I didn't watch it last year, or the year before, and I'm a football fan. I'm a football kinda guy who takes a significant chunk of his annual budget and sinks that into season tickets for his favorite team. Yet I don't pay any attention to the Pro Bowl. The most attention I pay to it is to see who gets to go from various teams, acknowledging great performances or the travesty of popularity, but I don't watch them actually play the game. And that's my point, or question.

Has the Pro Bowl become irrelevant? Has it been irrelevant for a long time? Was it ever relevant? Does anyone give a damn about the game? Is the Super Bowl not the grand finale of the NFL season? Once it's played, it's like you just finished this amazing meal and can't eat another bite, and someone offers you an Oreo for dessert. You can't eat it. You don't want it. You don't care if they throw it in the garbage.

It wasn't even on our radar screen. We discussed what to do on Saturday night and came up with Blockbuster and The Legend of Ricky Bobby. Nobody even mentioned the Pro Bowl. Talladaga Nights, however, gets my nod as one of the better Will Farrell movies I've seen.

I don't think we need to get rid of the whole idea of the Pro Bowl. I think the recognition part is a pretty good thing. Let them all go to Hawaii and have a nice awards dinner and do some skills challenge stuff if ESPN insists on something showing athletic prowess, but don't play a football game. There are only two things that can come out of that game, and neither are good. The first is bad TV ratings and nobody in television likes those. Yet, every year for this game, they happen. The second is injury for players. These guys just finished a long season. They performed well in that season, hence the trip to the Pro Bowl. The last thing we really need to do to reward them is let them spend their offseason in rehab for a needless Pro Bowl injury, like it appears Drew Brees will.

Pat the guys on the back. Tell them they did a great job because for the most part, they did. Just don't make 'em play yet another football game.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home