Wednesday, March 28, 2007

feeling out of touch

I guess I'm drifting out of touch with pop culture, because I'm starting to feel like I'm losing it.

The local fishwrap has an occasional column called "Dare to Ask". In it they ask questions people want answers to that are sometimes considered impolite, ask for 'person on the street' answers and then get an expert to answer....like, "Why do Catholics eat fish on Fridays?" or like this week...

If someone gets all in my face, is it considered racist to say "don't be going all sha-nay-nay on me."?

I'm sorry, but that was just lost on me. What the hell is "sha-nay-nay", and why would it be racist? The closest thing I can think of that relates (and it seems like a real stretch to me) would be Shania Twain. Is she Sha-nay-nay? Does she get in people's faces and if so...why would making fun of her be considered racist?

There's a Subway Restaurant commercial on TV now that makes fun of unhealthy fast food. I first saw it while walking the treadmill (which made it funnier) and watching Florida beat Oregon in basketball Sunday. Two people are in a car at a fast food drive thru, ordering...

Guy: "I'll have the love handles, the double chin and an order of blubber."
Voice from the Speaker: "Would you like the double blubber?"
Guy: "Sure"
Girl: "I'll have the same thing, but instead of the blubber can I get the thunder thighs and the badonkey donk butt?"

OK, from the context, I'm guessing it means big, but what's a badonkey donk butt and why is it called that, of all things?

L'il help?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

I would appreciate it if you would please blog in English, at least for the benefit of this 42 year old.

12:55 PM  
Blogger John said...

If I only knew what other language I was writing in, that might be more than half my battle.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Sha Nay Nay is a somewhat abrasive character (played by Martin Lawrence) on the Martin Lawrence show. Get with it dude, I'm 41 and I knew that shizzle.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home