Monday, July 30, 2007

Nailed

Saturday morning I went riding, hoping to at least equal the 60 miles I did the week before. All was going well. There wasn't much wind, and I was feeling good. I was pretty much on my way home, 40 miles into the ride, trying to figure out how I was going to extend the route to get 60 out of it when I heard...click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click...and looked down. Couldnt see anytthing in the spokes, so I stopped. I rotated the front wheel by hand (that's where I thought I heard it coming from)...nothing. Rotated the back one...click....click...click. Hmmmm. It took a bit of inspection, but I found it. A nail stuck in my tire...and it was hitting the bike frame. I pulled the nail and heard..ssssssssssssssss...as the air escaped.

So now I'm on the side of the road with a flat. I'm thinking, I have a spare tube. I could sit here and open my little emergency kit and spend the next half hour figuring out how to use it, and fix the thing or I could use my handy dandy cell phone, call the wife and have her come get me. Figuring into the equation - the bike shop I bought the bike from gives me free flat repair for a year, and I have to cut the grass when I get home, so 40 miles ain't so bad. Out came the phone. I spent the time waiting looking for more nails. Somebody spilled a shitload of them in the bike lane, so I picked up all I could find and threw them in the grass off the side of the road, so nobody else suffers the same fate as I. So went my first flat tire.

Finished the new Harry Potter book over the weekend...and loved it. Speaking of nails, I think Rowling nailed it. She put an excellent cap on the whole series. Everything finished as I hoped it would.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home