Thursday, September 06, 2007

I love the smell of road kill in the morning

...it smeels like..vict...well no. No matter how you look at it, dead armadillos, racoons, opossum, or snakes, ripening in the morning sun, don't smell like victory. Apocolypse Now be damned. It does give you an idea which way the wind's blowing when you're bike riding though. If you can't decide whether the headwind you're feeling is self induced or the real thing, road kill will help. If you can smell it long before you get to it, it's a real headwind. If you're smelling it after you pass it, it's self induced. I know, too much information.

I rode Wednesday morning, for the first time on a weekday while school was in session. The array of busses, crossing guards and teen drivers on their way to school was challenging, but not enough to stop me before 51 miles. I figured all that would be finished soon after I started, but I was wrong. What school still has busses picking kids up at 8:30? The youngster is already at his desk then. Tomorrow, another practice ride with the people I will probably ride in the real thing. The folks from work are doing 54 miles, so I'll finally meet the rest of the "team".

Speaking of the youngster...he shocked the hell out of me this morning.

"Ya know dad, it feels really weird to think it, and even weirder to say it, but school's pretty cool."

Maybe, just maybe, we're turning a corner. Oh I hope so.

His high school has their first home football game tonight. He asked if we'd take him. I said..suuuuurrrreeee. But if we take you, we aren't driving all the way there just to come home, turn around and go back for you. We're staying for the game....and we're going to sit with you....and when the band plays, we're gonna get up and dance. No, not really, but the look of terror was priceless.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home