Monday, December 01, 2008

for all you smokers out there

Q: Do you smoke after sex?
A: I don't know. I never looked.

I have one close relative who smokes...my brother's wife. She's an unrepentant chain smoker, and has been all her life, which is about as long as mine.

In the spring, her arm started moving uncontrollably. It pretty much freaked her out, as it would anyone. It was moving, and actually hitting her and she wasn't trying to move it. When she went to the hospital, they found a tumor in her brain. Long story short, it was brain cancer, which started as lung cancer brought on by cigarettes. By the time they found it, it was in her lymph nodes and had spread throughout her body.

She spent the summer and fall in varying degrees of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, still smoking like a chimney...until the day before Thanksgiving.

I lied.

I told you I have one close relative who smokes.

I don't anymore.

If you still smoke, despite everything we know about it, please please stop. If you gain 50 pounds, so what. Well, maybe not so what, but I'd rather have you fatter and alive, than skinnier and dead.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I've never smoked a day in my life, my parents both do and have for as long as I can remember. That's probably why me and both my brothers cannot stand it. It's safe to say I just don't get why someone would voluntarily put themselves into an early grave. I know it's a serious addiction, but it's also a slap in the face to people who try like hell to live as long as possible.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss. :-(

3:09 PM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, J. And sorry I haven't been around much these last few weeks.

Hugs

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home