Tuesday, November 25, 2008

some lessons I learn every year

Well, no matter how hard I try to learn from my mistakes, there are some lessons I seem to be doomed to learn every year. At least it's only once a year.

Saturday, I thought...I'm going to the Jaguars game Sunday, so if I'm getting any exercise this weekend, it's now. I got my errand stuff done early, so I could possibly get in a bike ride when the day got a little warmer. It was still chilly, and supposed to be windy, so I put on a long sleeve shirt under a cycling jersey (which I really only wore because it has pockets, so I can bring money and a cell phone. It's not worth much in the warmth department) and shorts, and stood in the driveway. I was debating putting on knee warmers, which would have covered my legs down to about halfway down my calf. I stood out there though, in the sunshine, and it felt warm enough, so I decided against those, got the bike and went.

A few miles down the road, I was regretting that decision. Once I got away from the wind break that comes with being in our driveway surrounded by houses, I felt the wind that was really out there. Still, I thought, I can deal with wind. Then I hit the shady parts of the trip, where the overhanging trees come into the picture. It got a bit colder without the sun beating down on me. Then the sun went behind some clouds. It got even worse. No, I didn't freeze my butt off. It wasn't that bad. I was wishing I'd wore those knee warmers though. I mean, that's what I have them for, and it really was cold enough for them once I got out and riding. Oh well, next time.

It's just one of those things, like the first sunburn in spring knocking on my brain and yelling, "Sunscreen, idiot!" Maybe one year, before I die, I'll remember those lessons without having to experience the pain once more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home