Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Marty's Birthday

On this iteration of Martin Luther King’s birthday, I actually find myself filled with hope. I do hope that we’re finally becoming a country, if not a world, where the content of your character matters and the color of your skin does not. Some would say the events coming in the next day or so confirm that. I disagree, but I do hope to be proven wrong.

I don’t think the changing of the guard proves that skin color doesn’t matter. I do think it proves that anyone can do anything if they work hard enough at it and the right circumstances unfold. That doesn’t mean all of us get what we want with enough hard work. It means you can get yourself in a place where you do everything you can and, if opportunity and work collide, you win. If they don’t, you don’t. The only worse thing than doing all the work and not seeing your dream come to life is seeing the opportunity come, and being in no position to take advantage of it. Now, don’t ask me how I got off on this tangent, because it wasn’t where I planned to be.

I hope people see, in Obama’s election, that you can grow up to be anything in this country, and skin color doesn’t have to stop you. I hope that excuse goes away. I hope Obama’s able to do many of the things he wants to do. I hope the end result looks a lot like the vision. I don’t expect that will happen. I’m ready for history to repeat itself and don’t expect all that much from the coming, or any, administration. Again, I honestly hope to be proven wrong.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home