Friday, January 16, 2009

the Obama swearing in ceremony

I watched some of the news this morning, and a big story seems to be the Obama "swearing in" ceremony and the shortage of tickets, and the people who have them feeling like they won the lottery (some of whom actually did to get their ticket). Part of the story was about people selling tickets, in one venue or another, to the highest bidder.

It got me thinking. If I had a ticket, as most of you can imagine, I'd be selling that thing, pronto. That's not the question though. I started thinking...if I had a ticket to the ceremony for any president...even that I voted for...would I go or would I sell it? I came to the conclusion that I would be in no hurry to go to any of them, regardless of party or any other circumstance. I mean, if I could go back indefinitely in time and go to one, I'm sure I'd like to go to...say...Abraham Lincoln's ceremony, but that'd just be to actually see Lincoln. It wouldn't be because it was that particular ceremony. Maybe it's my disdain for politicians and government in general, but if there was even a $10 profit to be made in the deal, I'd be selling that ticket. Any living president...I wouldn't waste a day off to go to downtown J'ville to see, even if I was guaranteed a seat in the third row.

So this morning I asked the liberal over the cubicle wall....if he had a ticket to the Obama show, would he go or would he sell it. He said he'd go in a heartbeat. Therein lies the huge philosophical difference, in my opinion. He still believes in government as a driving force to cure problems. I look at recent history (and by that I mean starting in the early 60s - my blame knows no party) and its abysmal track record, and I see no raging success story to back that belief. My expectations are far lower than his.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home