Monday, February 09, 2009

that was when I ruled the world

I half heartedly watched the grammys last night. I was doing some work, and some laundry, but catching bits and pieces along the way.

I guess it's a sign that I'm getting older, and sounding more like my parents. I liked Coldplay. Their performance wasn't as crisp as it could be, but they looked like they were having fun. It looked like a celebration, which was what I thought it should be at something like that. Even Kid Rock wasn't that bad. I'm not a huge country fan, but I could appreciate Carrie Underalls. Sir Paul was good. I will say that when you stick Hannah Montana in a duet with someone who has a voice, it's obvious she doesn't. Beyond that though, I was just shrugging or flat out shaking my head. I guess I just have to accept that I will never appreciate rap as a form of music. Poetry, maybe, and bad poetry at that. I mean, it rhymes, but beyond that...what the hell? You don't need the ability to sing to perform it. You don't need to play an instrument. The degree of difficulty is...pretty close to zilch. OK, you need to be able to talk fast and rhyme, and say something somewhat relevant. Muhammad Ali did that, and nobody accused him of making music. Is it entertaining? Sure, but so are clowns at the circus, and they're not at the grammys. The musical talent is pretty much equal. When I was in college, I was occasionally asked if I played a musical instrument. I used to joke that I played a mean stereo. For these guys, that's not a joke. It's really about as close as they get.

I guess I'll never get it, and I understand that that's OK. I'm an old white guy. I'm not exactly the targeted demographic, so nobody cares that I don't get it...except maybe me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home