Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the new regime

It's kinda scary, actually. I listened to some of Obama's speech at the swearing in. I couldn't catch it all - I mean, I am at work and all that. The scary thing is, he's sounding a lot like me. There's a personal responsibility theme running through everything that, to my ears, sounds amazingly Republican. Maybe I'm just not hearing it right. I'm not sure. I, by no means, am suggesting that he's stealing ideas from the Lumberyard (although it wouldn't surprise me to find he's an avid reader who comes here to stimulate his own thought process), but it does make his theme far more inclusive when I find myself nodding in agreement.

What I'm hearing is, we can't be expecting other people to do things for us. The government isn't going to bail you out of squat. It's incumbent on all of us to step up to the plate and do our part to get us out of the mess we're in. That's a far cry from what I'm used to hearing which goes more like, "You are incapable of doing everything life throws at you on your own. You need the government to help you get through life (or said another way, "It takes a village"). From what I see, his is pretty much the same message we had from the last administration. It just comes in a prettier wrapper. It's not coming in the smug tone that Dubya oozed that made you want to smack him. It comes in more of a rallying cry that makes you want to be part of it. Maybe that, in itself, really is part of the answer.

I really do hope so.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

So you finally started listening to him, hmmm? glad to hear it.

;-)

12:58 PM  
Blogger John said...

Oh, I've listened before, and I still think his version of foreign policy is way naive. This 'personal responsibility' theme is something I haven't heard from him before though. Maybe it's just me trying to find something to like, because I really want to like the guy and feel like my hope for the future isn't unfounded. I am saying that for now, I'm optimistic.
Even you have to admit Jessie, it's a far cry from the famed quote on election day from one of his supporters that went "I don't have to worry about my car payment any more. I don't have to worry about my mortgage anymore. I took care of him and now he's going to take care of me." He's putting the country on notice that, oh yes you do have to worry about your mortgage, and kick it up a notch or two beyond that. Don't count on anyone to take care of you, but you.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

I'm speechless today. Not quite sure what to expect. Let's review in 4 years over a beer.

I will say that I was sad to see the Bush's leave Washington. I'm sad because he will never get the respect that he deserves. I guess it all comes with what you treasure most as an American, and having a husband that gets on a plane each and every week...well, I treasure homeland security. Now, to be perfectly honest, I don't feel so secure and won't be sleeping so peacefully at night. I just don't feel that Obama will put our nations security at the top of the ol' priority list. Just my opinion though, and God I hope I'm wrong.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home