Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fantasy sports

I'm not a huge fantasy sports guy. I know people who are. They really get into it, especially in football and baseball. They draft their teams and each week they put guys in, take guys out, keep up with everyone's stats and scour their own little fantasy waiver wire for something they perceive as better than what they already have.

Some would tell them to get a life, but I would remind people who say that, that fantasy sports players have a life. It's just radically different from mine and they enjoy different things, and that's a good thing. If we all loved chocolate covered doughnuts with red and white sprinkles, imagine how difficult it'd be to get what you love.

So, many years ago I started playing fantasy golf. It wasn't nearly as invasive as the other sports. You just had to pick 8 guys each week who were playing, and of the 8, make 4 active. If all your guys made the cut, you really didn't have to change anything but you could make moves between your 8 guys, because some may be playing better than others and only your 4 active players got you points, and points, of course, are everything. After a few years though, my interest (and time to deal with it all) waned. I'd forget to pick my guys, or one of my guys would withdraw and I wouldn't notice, or God forbid, on a Friday night, I'd have something else on my mind besides checking who made the cut, to see if my active guys were even playing the weekend. So, my performance and interest in fantasy golf kinda died.

This year, however, it's been renewed a little. I'm still probably going to forget about it here and there, but there's a private league at work...with prizes. To be honest, I don't even know what the prizes are, but when there's free stuff, I'm at least all about trying. Granted, I'm a casual golf spectator, but there are people far more into watching golf than I am, and they will notice tendencies, make far more informed decisions on who to pick each week, and probably kick my ass, but hey...I'll at least give it a shot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home