Thursday, January 11, 2007

Brace yourself

We knew this day was coming. Didn't do a ton of preparation for it, but we did know it was coming.

We knew for years the youngster would need braces. It had to wait until he lost all his baby teeth though, so we were just waiting for the other tooth to drop, so to speak. That happened in the fall, and we got everything scheduled with the orthodontist. This week, it happened.

I never had them, although my sister did. Still, when she had them, I didn't pay much attention, so I remaind fairly ignorant on the subject of mouth wire.

Last week he went in for spacers. I had no idea what that meant, but apparently they slam these little wedges in between your teeth to start moving them apart in preparation for the braces. All I know is from the youngster's reaction, it's not a pleasant experience. There was motrin involved. Lots of motrin.

Then the wires came this week, and so did the payment book. Yeah, you read that right...payment book. I knew this wasn't a cheap thing, but the first two payments in that book are $600...each.

Then today, we hear a commercial on the radio for some orthodonture place on the radio. Yeah, you read that right, they advertise on the radio. He turns and says, "We should have gone there. Jane went there. They give you a free i-pod when you get your braces." Free, my ass. Nothing about that payment book says "free" anything.

Between that and his high school bill next year...I think we're going on the pork and beans diet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home