Friday, January 26, 2007

the gym

Let me start with...the gym isn't my friend.

I like getting out and doing things that could be considered exercise, but going someplace for the specific purpose of exercise isn't really my thing. Go for a bike ride, sure. Ride a stationary bike...no. Go for a brisk long walk, sure. Walk the treadmill, I don't think so. There comes a time, though, when you have to do something, and thinking about it while taking another couch potato nap isn't cutting it. The gym is becoming "my thing" out of necessity, or at least perceived necessity.

I was always the fairly thin guy, in my teens, 20s and 30s. Then I hit my 40s and, like a lot of other people, stopped metabolizing food at the same rate or whatever. About then I quit smoking, too and...I started expanding. This was new ground for me and I didn't like it much. Still don't.

So we moved into this neighborhood that has an exercise room...gym...sweat palace...call it what you will. I figured, I have no excuse at all. It's all right here. As much as I despise the place, I need to use it, and five years ago, I did. I did religiously. I was one of the two or three people who knew all the regulars, cuz I was one...and it was having the desired effect.

Then I got the flu. It was December, and I stopped. When I got better, it was still December and cold, and I still didn't go. My religious routine came to a dead halt, and never really started back up. I just let other things suck up that time, and never made a huge effort to get it back.

So we get to this Christmas season and I went to the grocery store one day. On a lark I stepped on the scale. We don't need to get into specifics (because those are going to be history), but the needle settled on a higher number than it ever has before, and I decided I need to do something, again. I don't get home from work 'til after dark, so bike rides and such aren't that practical this time of year...and so that room loomed large once more.

I talked to the youngster, who always wanted to go to that sweatshop of a gym, but was too young. Technically, he still is. You're supposed to be at least 14, and he will be in May. But he wanted to go, so we went Tuesday night. He's all pumped to do it again. (I will say this though. Five years ago when the development wasn't as built out, there were only a few people in there. Now, it's a bit more crowded and you're waiting for equipment.) He asked Wednesday, but we had to study Social Studies. He asked again last night, and we went again, after reviewing Science. He loves the place, and that, my friends, just might be the motivation I need to keep going. He'll bug me...every night, and if I say no, he'll want to know why, and no piddly ass excuse is going to do. I need to keep going, and maybe, he'll push me into it.

No, it's not the greatest thing when you count on your kid to nag you back into shape, but hey...whatever works.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just a matter of what it takes to get you there. Mine is a cruise of the Italian and Spanish coasts at the end of July and the first week of August. My friend Tracy is going to whip my sorry ass into shape starting February 1st. I'm hoping once it becomes habit, I can stick with it. I empathize, King John. When you sweat through the misery, know that there are those of us up north suffering through the same crap.

But I do have to say, Mr. Florida, I don't want to hear again about how it's "COLD" in December down there. PSHAW. It was a balmy 10 degrees here this morning. Wanna talk about cold?

:-)

11:01 PM  
Blogger John said...

The whole cruise thing...three stints of 6+ months on large gray boats had ruined that whole experience for me. Nothing about the word 'cruise' says vacation for me, much to the chagrin of the wife.

Yes, I know the accomodations and food are much better than what I had in the Navy, but it doesn't matter. You still wake up with nothing but water as far as the eye can see, and no way to get off that boat. I realize, for a lot of people, that's not such a bad thing. In fact, it's enjoyable. For me, it's hell.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home