Friday, January 12, 2007

I have a dream

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I used to think we were pretty close to that day. I have since realized we have a long way to go, and for a lot of reasons.

I dream of a day where one man of greater qualifications is not refused a job in place of another man of lesser qualifications based on skin color, and this goes both ways, whether because the hiring authority is somehow bigoted or is trying to fill some racial quota. I dream of the same day for college admissions.

I dream of the day when colleges feel no need for those quotas, because all races strive to be the best they can be, and don't succumb to pressures that hold them back, and everyone competes on an equal footing.

I dream of a day when I am welcomed in any neighborhood in any town, regardless of my skin color, and that everyone else can say the same thing.

I dream of a day when nothing can't be understood because it's a black thing, or a white thing, or an latino thing, or any other racial thing.

I dream of a day when there is no double standard that says a black comic, or rapper, can throw the 'nigger' term around and a white person can't. Nobody gets a pass based on skin color. That word just needs to be retired by everybody.

I dream of a day when nobody blames their bad fortune (or bad decisions) on some other race taking what they think belongs to them, and the events of 100 years ago, or 50 years ago stop being obstacles or excuses for what someone can and does (or can't and doesn't) accomplish in their life.

I dream of a day when pride is based on the accomplisments of your life, and not the color of your skin or the name you were born with, and none of those accomplishments are police record fodder.

Am I asking too much?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think you're asking too much...but then, I'm just some crazy liberal. :-)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home