Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sean O'Hair (tales from The Players - part 2)

I said a bit about it yesterday, but I wanted to expound, because I've heard it debated now and while I can see both sides, I agree with only one. Again, this is a whole lot easier for me when it isn't my checkbook, but still...

Sean O'Hair showed a lot of guts going for the pin on 17 in this year's Players Championship. One of the problems with Tour golf is that the purses have gotten so huge that a guy who can play well can earn a very good living and never win. He can finish in the top 30 or 40 most of the time, and cash-wise, he's pretty set. Therefore he can be content to do that. Just play well enough and never leave your stuff hanging out there...just play boring golf. Professional golf needs more Sean O'Hairs, to go out there and entertain, to bring a little jolt to the game. Yeah, he paid for it. The move cost him three quarters of a million dollars. I'm thinking though, if he keeps playing like that, he's going to win more than he's going to lose.

Now, if he could play a round of golf in under five hours, he'd be really kicking butt. I couldn't believe it when we were sitting in the seats behind the 18th green, there were three groups left on the course and Sean and Phil were still playing 15. That last 45 minutes dragged forever.....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home