Tuesday, July 31, 2007

baseball and biking

We went to the J'ville Suns game Friday night. They are a AA baseball team affiliated with the LA Dodgers. The game was a pitchers duel, pretty much. Not a lot of scoring, but some good defensive plays.

We went with some old friends, one of whom is the captain of the MS Bike Ride team at work, so I had a ready reference for questions, and just perspective on just how much I've gotten into this whole thing. Granted, I'm coming from a different perspective. I've never done it before, and she's done it twice. I'm 50 years old and she hasn't hit 40 yet. I'm going into the unknown (with the fear that rides along with that), so I'm trying to make damn sure I'm good and ready, so I started riding in March. She, and her husband (who will also ride in it) are going on vacation, and will start training when they get back. I'm thinking...it'll be freaking August! Are you people nuts? That gives you less than 2 months to get ready. But I guess when you're younger and you've done it before, you know what you need to do...and it's less than I think is necessary. Then again...maybe they overestimate themselves a tad, and I'll be seeing a bit of struggling at the end of September. We shall see.

She also said she doesn't ride more than about 30 miles when she trains. Maybe that makes sense. Maybe I'm going a little overboard. I don't know. I do know riding farther is getting me in better shape, no matter what I do with the MS ride, and that's a huge part of the motivation as well, so I'm not going to scale back. This all started when I decided to get healthy again, and that hasn't gone away. One thing I noticed. I haven't been sick much since I started this thing...not even a cold. Maybe luck...maybe a connection. who knows.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home