Tuesday, August 14, 2007

group therapy

It's being a very relaxing break...with a few bike rides thrown in for good measure.

I did my first real group ride Saturday morning...41 miles. Wednesday I went to the new bike shop that opened near stately Lumberyard Manor. I wanted to ask about clipless pedals, because everything I read and hear about them says they make you more efficient, and they're easier on your knees than toe clips, which are in themselves, better than just a regular pedal. I had asked about them at the shop where I bought my bike as well, so I had a few opinions to go on. The big difference was, the shop where I bought the bike wanted to put me in very high end equipment, at a cost of around $350 for the pedals and shoes that fit them. The guys down the road said there was no need to spend that kind of money and still get good quality gear, so I went back there on Friday...and got fitted with new clipless pedals and shoes for about $150. While doing that, we talked about their group ride the next day...40 miles...17-22 miles an hour.

On Saturday morning I showed up at their store for the group ride. They asked if anyone was new to group riding (and, already knew I would be one, because we discussed it). I raised my hand and so did one woman, who also said she didn't know if she'd be able to keep up, but wanted to try. They explained the route we'd take and gave a little safety talk. The route was pretty unfamiliar to me, going south into farmland on infrequently traveled roads (good for biking, but explaining why I had no idea where they were). We took off...immediately around 20 miles an hour. Ooookay, I'm thinking...so much for the 17 mile an hour part. Some of the people there obviously are far from beginners. I can hear some saying it's a decent pace. The hand signal thing and general communication didn't go any farther than what I already learned doing the MS practice ride, so I was comfy there. So far though, I'm hanging..even as the pace picked up...22...23 miles an hour. We traveled some roads I knew to start, but about 10 miles in, I was lost. Not completely lost. I could find my way home if I had to, but I was in unfamiliar territory, and couldn't tell you where we were going from there. It was about then that I was the third guy in line, and the first guy dropped to go to the back of the line. The guy in front of me called back for me to lead, because he didn't know the route. Well shit, neither did I, but I can follow the road for a while, so I picked it up a little and started doing about 22 miles an hour, passing him and all of a sudden, finding myself...alone. I glanced over my shoulder and nobody was there. I turned and looked, and they were all way behind me...so I slowed to about 20 and waited for them to catch up...and still nobody was there. A few minutes later I thought, well, I'll slow to 19...and did. About then, they caught up quickly, started passing me and one of the guys who obviously rides a lot, snidely says, "C'mon buddy, keep a consistent pace" as he passed me. Well fine...whatever. I fell back in line (which was a good thing, because we made a turn shortly after that which I never would have made if I was out front, because I didn't know where it was) and we continued on.

At about 25 miles, we stopped at a country store for a break. I noticed the group was a bit smaller. The woman who was concerned about keeping up, didn't. She and another rider fell far behind. One guy turned back. Soon, the woman, one other guy and one of the shop owners who I assume was trying to look after them, came riding to the store. About five of the serious riders started talking about breaking off from the group and going much farther. One of them said he had five more hours to spare and was looking for people to go a long way. We had company at the house, so I wasn't going with them, but they recruited a few more. As we left the store, they were all in the front of the line, but it was also the last I saw of that woman and the other guy who was behind with her. We got to a traffic light that turned red after the first few people went through. I got the idea that the proper etiquette is to stop and wait for those that had to stop. I got that idea, because that didn't happen. The group in front kept going...some through the red light. The guys who run the shop yelled at them, telling them they have to stop at red lights....to no avail. They kept going and that was the last we saw of them. The group started breaking up, and the shop owners were trying to get whoever was left back together. I, with one other rider, led that group as the shop owners relayed the message to anyone else that we would stop at another store and regroup. When we did, there were a total of 5 of us left, two of them being the shop owners. Everyone else either went with the fast group or dropped behind. The shop owners were clearly pissed at the group that left us behind at the light. We finished up the ride uneventfully, except for the one place where I fell over. We got to a stop sign and the guy in front of me stopped faster than expected, and I didn't get my shoe off the pedal in time...and fell over. Nothing hurt except my pride.

And so it went for what turned out to be about 41 miles. I learned a little...and thought the whole bunch of people were a little temperamental about it all. I'll do it again though. In time I'll get to be a regular on that ride...comfortable with the route and how it all goes. I won't get yelled at for not being consistent in front...because I will be. Whoever around me wants to go off and do whatever they want to do...fine by me. It's all not worth getting your panties in a wad for.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JessieE said...

who knew a bike ride wasn't really a bike ride? I'm enjoying keeping up with you on this stuff...such as I am, in my comfy seat at my desk...

9:16 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, it was all a bit much on the drama scale for me, but I figure I can let the side issues slide off my back and use the ride for what I want out of it in the long run...a bit of exercise in more of a social atmosphere than going it alone...and who knows? I might even make a few friends out of this.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home