Wednesday, August 01, 2007

sports passions butting heads

I love playing golf. I love the feeling when I hit a good shot, and the feeling when it actually goes where I want it too. I'm not very good at it, so those moments aren't as frequent as I'd like, but I love getting out there and playing. I go to the driving range almost every weekend for an hour, trying to get better. I've never played enough to get really good, but the range time makes me good enough not to embarass myself when I do get to play.

I love bicycling. I loved it as a kid. I loved the freedom it gave me...to go where I wanted (because I didn't have a car). I loved going farther and farther. I remember in high school. I led a group of kids from our neighborhood across the Susquehanna River to a mall on the other side of Harrisburg...probably 15 - 20 miles...and back home again after a little bit of shopping. It was a huge thing for all of us. I kinda lost that over the years, but I'm getting it back now in training for the MS Bike Ride. I really enjoy getting out on my bike. I love riding, and I love how I feel when I push myself. And, yeah, I like the effect it's having on me physically. I feel better and I look better.

Now comes what's becoming an issue...making time for both. Biking wasn't really cutting into my weekend when I was going 20 or 30 miles. I'd get up at 6:00 and be on the road before 7:00, and home before 9:00. As I go farther though, it takes more time. I'm cutting into the time I usually run around and get errands done. Some of those errands aren't getting done until Sunday and the driving range is suffering because of it. Since that's mostly what I do in the world of golf...golf is suffering. I need to get better at organizing my time...and maybe cutting down on afternoon naps.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home