Thursday, December 04, 2008

the college bowl system

I'm not going to get into why or why not college football needs a playoff. Personally, I like the idea that we have no definitive number one college football team. I like that it's a fuzzy concept. I don't think college football requires a definite number one team. So what if there isn't? I love watching the games, but in the end, I don't care all that much who walks away knighted number 1, regardless of the rationale. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was a huge fan of one particular team, but I'm not...so it's OK with me that on any given year, someone can make the argument that the best team didn't finish number 1. We don't have a playoff and the bowl system is as close as we get. I can still sleep at night.

That said, I was always under the opinion that the best teams go to the better bowl games...or that those bowls tried to get the best teams. It was supposed to be a reward for having a good season. Now, I'm being proven wrong. The Gator Bowl, in my beloved J'ville, invites one team from the Atlantic Coast Conference. I thought they invited the best team available. This year it appears they had a choice of Florida State or Clemson. Both are pretty good teams. Florida State has a better record, and beat Clemson in the regular season. You'd think they'd get the invite. But no, Clemson's coming to town. Now, I thought I was being cynical when I thought to myself...it's because Florida State people will drive here on game day and not fill hotel rooms, and then go home. I didn't think anyone would actually come out and say that. I was wrong. The decision came down to...Clemson fans travel well, and will definitely sell out the stadium, where that wasn't a given with Florida State, and Clemson fans will come and stay a few days. They'll fill hotel rooms, eat in restaurants and do things that require cash outflow, thus bringing in more of an economic impact.

Florida State fans are up in arms about the decision, but this one's on you guys. The perception is you won't come in droves and spend the big bucks, but Clemson fans will. They get the invite and you head for the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, or the Pork, the Other White Meat Bowl, or wherever you can get an in.

So, the fans are determining who gets to play in the Gator Bowl...not the stuff that happens on the football field. It's not really about sports. It's all about the Hamiltons, baby. That, apparently, is reality, and everybody's pretty up front about it. I just feel like I've been way naive, and someone shattered my innocence. That's all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home