Monday, December 11, 2006

I love a good meeting

Been in mandatory company meetings all day, and we have a mandatory company social function this evening, so I'm kinda between things with not enough time to go home and get back. It's been an interesting mandatory company kind of day though.

The first speaker was Roy Williams, past Kansas, current UNC basketball coach, and probably the best all around speaker of the day. He was great to start off with and really does come with a lot of advice on things like shaping your attitude to make your life better, and taking on challenges that make life worthwhile.

Next in line was (don't remember his name) the president of CBS television. He came with a lot of video clips, and though he didn't do questions and answers, I was dying to ask if he was the jerk responsible for plastering Katie Couric's face on my TV in the evenings. Somebody's got to be responsible for that move. The rest of the day went OK, but nobody matched Williams for entertainment and value, and nobody matched either of them for being someone we do or might have known before it started.

These things are great, and they do tend to re-focus me on the more important things, not just in my job, but in life. As good as that may be for me though, I always notice that the people who could most benefit from something like this never do. The whiners I work with (and that's not everyone I work with, mind you, but they are a vocal lot) never get it...because to get it means they have to change...and they don't want to change. They don't want to change in the worst way, so they make excuses, and disparaging remarks, and think of every way possible to discredit whatever they hear...because they really don't want to hear it. Someone is handing them a way to make their lives better, but no...they'd rather wallow in mediocrity. Not just here where they work, but in the other aspects of their lives as well. They do that because to do differently means to be challenged, and change. It means uncertainty, and venturing where they haven't been before, and that's too scary...and that's a shame...for them.

As a general rule, I hate meetings. I wasn't that keen on this one (and it goes on tomorrow too) because I have plenty of stuff waiting on my desk. But...if we're going to do this thing, let's at least grab whatever it is it has to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home