Friday, March 16, 2007

Liberals, Conservatives, Ann Coulter, Anna Quindlen, CNN, FOX, naked Cats and Dogs sleeping together, all that stuff

Something I read here had me thinking a lot last night. Jessie E tends to do that to me on occasion. Unfortunately (for her, if anybody) I think where my derailed train of thought goes once she sparks it is nowhere near where anyone, including me, intended.

It led me to think about how people are quick to go telling us what's wrong with everyone else, and for whatever reason, can't see the same inadequacies in themselves. As of right now, the last blog entry in the above ling has another link within it to a Newsweek columnist. One who goes off a bit on Ann Coulter, and proclaiming her era of snarkiness just about over. I won't defend some of what Ms. Coulter does. I think she can be a bit over the top and purposfully goes a bit too far for shock value on occasion. What got me thinking though is, I read the opinion columns, and this snarky quality is nothing Ms. Coulter has a monopoly on. In fact, I think there's been far more ugliness coming from the other side of the fence ever since Dubya hit the White House. It makes me wonder if someone is proclaiming the snarky age over because people don't want to hear Ann Coulter, or because their favorite target is leaving office. Is it time to proclaim a truce because they think their guy or girl is about to have the target on their back? There's a piece of wishful thinking.

An example I like to use is, shortly after Bill Clinton got elected, bumber stickers started appearing that said something like "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Bush." Liberals got all offended and more bumber stickers appeared saying something like, "Clinton Won, Get Over It". Ahhh, the bumper sticker wars. So we fast forward to now, and Dubya gets elected. The next thing we see is bumper stickers that say "Is It 2008 Yet?" I guess it's only offensive when it's your guy who's being bashed.

As for Ms. Coulter. I understand she lobbed an anti-gay slur at some slick ambulance chasing trial lawyer slimeball masquerading as a presidential candidate (yeah, Jessie...that was for you, because your blood pressure needed a boost). From the column I gathered the sole reason for the comment was to thrust her back in the public eye. Did anyone stop to think who it would be that thrusts her there? Personally, I never would have heard about the comment if it wasn't for ABC, NBC, CNN and anyone else with a liberal agenda and a podium jumping up and down and telling me about it. I still don't know what she called him. I just know it was offensive. Out of curiosity, was it "butt slamming boy toy"? If they would have ignored the woman, it would have been the non-story they all want it to be. The only people giving it legs would be the liberal media. As I have said before, all these pundit people have the right to say what they want, and we have the right to consider the source.

Just like we don't seem to see the criticism we throw at others in ourselves, we don't see the good we see in us in those that don't think like we do. We see ourselves as rational people who look at all the facts and listen to opinions of others and formulate our own. We see everyone who doesn't agree with us as unthinking lazy sheep, led by some voice they unconditionally accept. While I'm sure some people act like that, the vast majority on either side of an issue don't. We just find it hard to believe because we assume, if someone thought it all out like we did, they'd have to come to the same conclusion, and that just ain't so. The concept of "But I'm right" carries a whole lotta weight...with you. Beyond you, it carries none.

And as I come to a close, I'll leave this for you to chew on. As much as Albert Gore seems to believe it's an inconvenient truth that we are slowly baking the earth, I think it's just as much of an inconvenient truth that we use words like "Abortion" and self-righteous phrases like "Right to Choose" to make us feel OK with the fact that we kill a bunch of innocent babies. I'm open minded enough to consider his point of view. I could be wrong, but I doubt he'd do the same for me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This report is fantastic, the information you show us is really interesting and is good written. Is amazing! do you want to see something more? look... Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

7:08 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

LOLOL John. No matter what you post, someone will come along and trivialize it.

I appreciated your response, even if I didn't thoughtfully respond like the Headshop guy.

:-)

7:30 AM  
Blogger John said...

Ya know, I thought about deleting it, but it pretty much makes my point. I know I'm right, but once you get beyond me, this illustrates just how important my opinion is.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home