Monday, March 19, 2007

the weekend in review

First there's Villanova and the NCAA tournament...yeah, so much for that.

We went to the hockey game Friday night and saw the carpool kids play. The were on the ice between the first and second periods of the real game. One of them scored a goal and at the end of the thing, one of them (the littlest guy) staged a fight with a kid twice his size. It was pretty funny. The Jacksonville Barracudas, however, we're getting their asses handed to them by the Knoxville Ice Bears, so we left a bit early. We got home in time to see most of the Villanova/Kentucky game...Woooo Hoooooo...so I watched us go down in flames.

Saturday morning I got up early and went bike riding...maybe against my better judgement. I was determined to wear my new bike shorts (the ones with the ass padding) because the place I bought them from had them on sale, and the sale was ending this weekend. I wanted to make sure I liked them, because if I did, I knew I needed a second pair. This thing I'm working toward is a two day event and after asking a bunch of questions last week in a meeting, I came to the obvious (for most folks) conclusion that two sets of clothes will be necessary.

So, I went out in my new bike shorts and...it was cold, and very windy. No, not snowing cold, but probably 40-ish, and there I am in skin tight very thin bike shorts with ass padding that is useless now, because I froze mine off. I threw on a windbreaker and decided to go for it. I went probably 10 miles out (a conservative estimimate, but what else would you expect here)...against the wind. The cold stopped bothering me as much as I went, but the wind was brutal, and I think the windbreaker was acting like a huge parachute behind me, which didn't help. No matter how hard I peddled, it felt like I was barely moving. The trip back was far more enjoyable, but by then my thighs were pretty spent...and I still feel them.

I went back to the bike shop and bought the second pair of shorts and a bike jersey. Again, they give us one for the ride, but you kinda need two, and this sale thing was on all apparrel, so I jumped on it. Then I came to a realization, but as I type this I came to a second...that the first realization is wrong. I was going to say this was the first clothing I ever bought that was so specialized I wouldn't wear it out in public doing anything else. Golf shirts, for example, I'll wear to play golf, but they work socializing with friends, going out to eat or just hanging out at home. Gym shorts will work to cut the grass and do lots of stuff around the house. Bike clothes though...are pretty much worthless off a bike. You don't go around town in shorts with ass padding and shirts with pockets on the back. As I thought though, I remembered back to my teens and twenties...and skiing...and I had clothes there I never wore anywhere else too, so I guess it's not a first.

On the sort-of good side...I've been an extra-large guy for at least the last 10 years, maybe more like 15. Every shirt I buy is XL, and they fit..a little loose maybe but they hang right and they fit. So I went into the bike shop and instinctively said...Shirt? Extra Large. They guy handed me a large and said, "Try this first", so I did. It was snug, but he said it should be, and looked me over and told me I don't want an exrta large. It's comfortably snug, but we still have some gut to work off. I know, you didn't need that visual, but I am working on it. So, maybe all this working out is actually making a difference, and maybe that's just how bike clothes are cut and I'm just getting flattered. In any case, it's the first shirt I've bought in a very long time where the size didn't start with an X.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home